Bristol’s nightlife scene is legendary, from live gigs on-board Thekla to the award-winning Motion.
However, despite being named the best large club in the UK in December last year, not everyone agreed it was a five-star experience.
Here are some brutally honest reactions to a night out at the venue:
1. “What a venue. Sound system was crazy and vibe was nuts.”
2. “The toilets were disgusting, but the entertainment was very good.”
4. “Terribly crowded and ridiculously hot.”
5. “The main room was so packed and so unbearably hot it was like being in a sauna. The lasers were cool.”
6. “The bar ran out of Vodka by 8pm.”
7. “Great sound system and a really good crowd – no weirdos bumbling around.”
Lakota is one of the city’s most legendary venues and has attracted mostly positive reviews on both Facebook and TripAdvisor.
For some, the club is a ‘Bristol institution’ with plenty of character while others have taken issue with the sound quality and ‘grim’ toilets.
10. “The sound quality was rubbish and it was far too loud. Don’t go there without ear plugs.”
11. “Cheap drinks by club standards but the toilets pretty grim at the best of times.”
12. “Waited 20 minutes for one can of Stella. Twice in the same night.”
13. “Had a better night at the Domino’s up the street.”
Not many cities can say they have a nightclub on a boat which is considered one of the country’s most iconic venues.
Thekla is well-known in Bristol as a venue for live gigs and has won multiple awards over the years.
With that in mind, it’s no surprise that the majority of reviews are hugely positive – despite the occasional complaint about sticky floors.
14. “The best, and most unusual, music venue in Bristol.”
15. “Great venue, good bar, nice and sweaty too, everything a great live music venue should have.”
16. “Great little venue, so much less damp and disgusting than 30 years ago.”
17. “If you want to get started on by a fresher and listen to cheesy music and pay stupid money then here’s the club for you.”
18. “The venue had a ridiculously sticky floor, so it was absolutely impossible to jig around.”
According to its website, the club offers a combination of “excitement, atmosphere, elegance and opulence”.
Despite the mostly positive reviews, it’s fair to say not everyone agrees.
20. “Great music and atmosphere – great value for what you pay to get in.”
21. “My gran has more up to date carpets!”
22. “Could barely walk anywhere without being barged into.”
23. “When you go in straight away my shoes were sticking to the carpets…. why even have carpet in a club anyway?”
For the latest news in and around Bristol, visit and bookmark Bristol Live’s homepage .