For true crime fanatics, no one is quite as legendary as “White Boy Rick.” Those unfamiliar might want to tune into Starz this week for White Boy, a documentary that shares his unusual fate.
In the 1980s, during the height of the War on Drugs, Detroit teen Richard Wershe Jr.better known now by his nicknamebecame the youngest FBI informant at age 14. After the agency no longer needed him, Wershe used his undercover experience to his advantage and quickly became a high-profile drug dealer. He was apprehended in 1987 at age 17 with 8 kilos of cocaine and sentenced to life in prison under a controversial drug law in Michigan, making him the longest-serving juvenile offender for a non-violent crime.
According to the Guardian, while Wershe was an FBI informant, he “immersed himself with drug dealers and helped bring down violent kingpins, a corrupt ring of Detroit cops, and a string of gang members.” By 1998, the 650 Lifer law, which imposed a mandatory life sentence on anyone carrying 650 grams of cocaine, was rolled back and deemed unsuccessful. More than 220 people sentenced under the former law, including violent offenders, were released by 2015. Wershe was in Michigan’s correctional facilities until April 2017
In the engaging documentary White Boy, director Christopher S. Rech (A Murder in the Park) interviews journalists, federal agents, and police officials to discuss the strange, tragic, and complicated life of Richard Wershe Jr.
Here’s everything you need to know to watch White Boy online for free.
What channel is White Boy on?
White Boy will be available exclusively on Starz.
What time does White Boy start?
White Boy airs on Monday, April 8 at 9pm ET. It originally premiered at the Telluride Film Festival and the Toronto International Film Festival in September 2018, but Starz acquired the documentary and this will be its television debut.
How to watch White Boy online for free
If you’re looking to watch White Boy online for free, you have options ranging from on-demand apps to a handful of live TV streaming services. Each of the streaming services come with a free seven-day trial.
- Cost: $25 to $40 per month (after a 7-day free trial) for Sling TV | $9 per month for Starz
- : Amazon Fire TVs, Android Fire Stick, Apple TV, Android TV,, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, Oculus Go, and iOS and Android devices
For a more la carte service, look to Sling TV. It offers two cable packages, and , both of which cost $25 per month. If you grab them both () you can save $10 per month. Sling Blue offers more bang for your buck with over 40 channels, including sports necessities like , , and . You’ll also gain access to the usual cable mainstays like , , , , and . Whichever package you choose, you can add Starz for an additional $9 a month. Heres the complete guide to .
2) Starz app
- Cost: $8.99 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- Devices: iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, Mac, PC, Apple TV, Android TV, Fire Stick, Xbox One, Xbox One S, select Samsung Smart TVs
The standalone app is the most direct way to stream White Boy, even if it is without the frills of additional channels. You can watch all new and past episodes of Starz shows like American Gods, but you’ll also gain access to other Starz shows like Power and Outlander, along with the current lineup of Starz movies.
3) Amazon Prime Video with Starz
- Cost: $8.99 per month (after free 7-day trial) for Starz | Prime subscription for $119.99
- Devices: Amazon Fire Stick, Fire TV, Fire tablets, and Fire phone; Roku, Google TV, TiVo, Nvidia Shield, PlayStation 3 and 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Wii
If you’re always online, there’s a good chance you’re already tapping your Amazon Prime account for your streaming needs. Prime Streaming is only $119 per year, but you can try it for 30 days free. Adding Starz to your Prime Video channels lineup couldn’t be simpler. Once added, you’ll not only be able to catch White Boy, but watch all those episodes you missed on-demand. You can also try the Starz channel add-on free for a week before you commit to the $8.99-a-month subscription.
4) Hulu and Hulu with Live TV
- Cost: $5.99 to $11.99 per month for Hulu or $40 per month (after a 7-day free trial) for Hulu with Live TV | $8.99 per month for Starz (after a 1-month free trial)
- Hulu devices: Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, and iOS and Android devices
- Local channels: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, the CW (check your local availability here)
plans start at $5.99 a month for the basic Hulu service, but you can upgrade to for 11.99 a month. If you’re looking for a live-streaming service, plans start at $40 a month and comes with a suite of more than 50 channels including , a full suite of , Cartoon Network, , and even deep cuts like and . Whichever package you choose, you can add Starz for only $8.99 a month. Even better? You can preview Starz for free for a month before you’re billed for it. Heres the complete list of Hulu Live TV channels.
- Cost: $40 per month (after a 7-day free trial) for YouTube TV | $9 per month for Starz
- : Google Chromecast,, Apple TV, Android TV, Xbox One, iOS and Android devices
YouTube TV is a great solution for families because one subscription can add up to six accounts. Each account comes with unlimited cloud DVR. There are sports channels like , , and four . , , and are there too, so you won’t miss out on all that prestige TV. Adding Starz to your subscription is easy, and only runs an additional $9 a month. (You can find the full list of YouTube TV channels here.)