A THREE-year-old boy plunged to his death in the second fatal fall from a London tower block in 24 hours.
Little Edward Popadiuc died in hospital two hours after falling from a fourth-floor flat in Bridge Court, Harrow, on Friday.
Dad Alexandru said today: “I don’t want to cry any more, I do it all day and all night. He is our angel now.”
The fall came just hours after a toddler died after falling through a ninth floor window with a faulty handle his mum had urged the council to fix for two months.
Witnesses told how the distraught mother was left in “stone cold shock” after her 18-month-old boy – named locally as Ali – plummeted from his family home onto a first floor canopy at 19-floor council block in Tottenham, north London, on Thursday.
The toddler is believed to have fallen from Stellar House after a window baby lock stopped working while his mum was in the kitchen.
The boy, whose parents are said to be Kurdish, was pronounced dead in hospital about 11.30am on Thursday morning.
Shocked neighbour Meral Dervish, 51, said the baby’s 27-year-old mum-of-two Duygu called her in tears after the fall.
She said last week: “He opened a window, he fell down. The window, it was faulty.
“For nearly two months she was calling the council just to come to fix it.
“The handle was not secure. They were coming to fix it, but then this happened. She was crying, she was shocked yesterday. She was complaining about this.”
Meral added: “He was a very nice boy. The mum was looking after the kids brilliantly, she was caring for her children.”
Ali lived with his five-year-old sister, his mother and father, Gukhan.
The family had been at the flat for around four years, it was said locally.
A man he believed to be Ali’s grandfather was seen crying at the scene, one person said.
Danny Hunt, 31, who also lives on the ninth floor, told The Sun Online: “I heard the shouting, the girl was screaming, I didn’t know what she was saying. She was panicking.
“I looked out of a neighbour’s window and saw the baby lying in the canopy, just lying there.
The window lock wasn’t working so the baby woke up, reached out for the window and just fell out from there.
“He had blood on him. He wasn’t moving at all. He was lying on his side or on his back. He had blood from his neck, it was quite a lot.
“His mother was in shock. There were two other grown people there too, the girl’s family.
“She couldn’t say what she wanted to say. She was stone cold shocked. Someone did call the ambulance so I went back inside.”
A 25-year-old local shop assistant said had heard the tragic news through her sister, who was friends with the family.
“The mum was cooking in the kitchen before she went to pick up her other child,” she told The Sun Online.
“The window lock wasn’t working so the baby woke up, reached out for the window and just fell out from there.
“I was upset when I heard but we were thinking about the mum.”
Paramedics were scrambled to the scene and an air ambulance was dispatched to the scene.
No arrests have been made.
Zina Etheridge, Haringey Council’s chief executive, said: “We are aware of a tragic incident of a young child falling from height in Tottenham, and our deepest sympathies are with the family at this time.
“The police are currently investigating and it would be inappropriate for us to comment further until more is known.”
MOST READ IN NEWS
Grace’s meeting with Tinder date ‘murderer’ before he ‘choked her during sex’
Judge rules woman with learning difficulties can have sex after 8-year ban
How girl, 14, was lured by sex-mad teens & killed in chilling echo of James Bulger
Cop charged with MURDER over Taser death of ex-Villa star Dalian Atkinson
It’s becoming clear we’ve taken a wrong turn banning diesel cars
Mum, 33, who threatened to ‘rip face off’ son’s bully admits she ‘lost it’
A police spokesman said: “Officers, the London Ambulance Service, London’s Air Ambulance and the London Fire Brigade attended and found the baby boy in a critical condition.
“The child, believed to be aged 18 months, was taken to a north London hospital where he was pronounced dead at 11.39am.”
Formal identification and a post-mortem examination will take place in due course, he said.
We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see ourPrivacy Noticefor details of your data protection rights
Thank you for subscribingSee our privacy notice
Miles of queues on the M6 have caused rush-hour chaos across Coventry and Warwickshire following a huge lorry fire.
Highways England bosses have warned that delays are likely for some time following the HGV trailer fire on the M6 between Junctions 2 (Coventry) and J1 (Rugby).
The southbound carriageway is closed as a result of the fire and a resulting spillage of ‘various corrosive chemicals.
At one point the northbound carriageway was also closed but this has now reopened.
This is not only causing hold-ups for traffic already on the M6 but also for drivers trying to access the motorway from surrounding roads, leading to pressure on alternative routes.
In fact, motorists are being told to expect at least an extra half an hour to be added onto their journeys.
In a statement, Highways England said: “Drivers wanting to use the M6 in Warwickshire between Junctions 2 (Coventry) and 1 (Rugby) are being advised that the southbound carriageway is closed due to an HGV trailer fire.
“The incident happened earlier this morning, and caused debris and a large spillage across both sides of the motorway.
“The northbound carriageway has now reopened following work by Highways England teams together with the emergency services to release the earlier trapped traffic on and clear the debris.
“The southbound carriageway remains closed whilst recovery work is ongoing by attending personnel from Highways England, the emergency services, and specialist contractors.
“It is likely to remain closed for some time whilst this work continues and will re-open as soon as it is safe to do so.
“Southbound road users are advised to follow the ‘hollow triangle’ for the diversion routes.”
Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service crews from Bedworth and Nuneaton stations as well as the water bowser from Coleshill responded to 999 calls made about the severe lorry fire at just before 3.30am this morning (November 5).
They remain on the scene.
A West Midlands Ambulance Service (WMAS) spokesperson said: “One of our vehicles, an ambulance, came across the lorry fire at 3.22am on the M6. No patients required treatment and the crew was cleared from the scene.”
For the latest on the M6 and traffic across the region, keep an eye on our liveblog here
Visit our Facebook pages for Coventry and Nuneaton or visit our Twitter pages for Coventry and Nuneaton
Watch our videos on YouTube and see our photos on Instagram
Search for jobs, motors and property, or place an advert or family notice