Trump begs Facebook to restore suspended accounts – P.M. News

Donald Trump appeals to Facebook

By Abankula

Former U.S. President Donald Trump has appealed his suspension by social media giant Facebook, both on Facebook and Instagram.

Trump lodged the appeal with Facebook Oversight Board, co-chaired by former Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt.

But, his appeal will not be considered, until about 10 weeks time.

Trump was suspended indefinitely by Facebook in January, following his serial breaching of the platform’s rules. Twitter banned him permanently.

He was then posting falsehoods that he won the 3 November 2020 election by a landslide, whereas the truth was that he lost by a landslide.

Some of the posts also supported the insurrectionists who stormed the U.S. Capitol on 6 January, for which he was impeached by the House of Representatives.

“We can confirm that a user statement has been received in the case before the Oversight Board concerning President Trump’s Facebook and Instagram accounts,” a spokesperson for the Oversight Board said in a statement.

‘We have decided that we are going to take this case,’ Thorning-Schmidt said on Tuesday in an interview with UK’s Channel Four.

‘It’s a very high profile case but that is exactly why the Oversight Board was created in the first place.’

She added that they are inviting public feedback on the case for them to look at and they have ‘already received public comments in the thousands and thousands’.

‘One thing I think is quite good about how we deal with these things is not only does Facebook have a statement about why they did what they did. The user can also put in their statement about their opinion,’ she said.

‘A third thing that can happen is that we are open for public comments about this particular case. We’ve already received public comments in the thousands and thousands.’

Facebook announced in January that it asked the Oversight Board to review its decision to suspend Trump on Jan. 7, the day after a group of the president’s supporters stormed the Capitol.

The Trump ban is the most consequential case yet for the Oversight Board, carrying far-reaching political implications for the nation.

Facebook’s Oversight Board launched last year to review the toughest calls the company makes. It is supposed to function as an independent entity but gets financial backing and technical support from Facebook.

The Oversight Board has 90 days to make a decision, but a ruling is expected more quickly. Its decision is binding and cannot be overruled by CEO Mark Zuckerberg or any other Facebook executive.

Share this post with your friends:

Related posts

Facebook Pledges $1 Bn In News Investments Over 3 Years | How Africa News

Facebook on Wednesday pledged to invest at least $1 billion to support journalism over the next three years as the social media giant defended its handling of a dispute with Australia over payments to media organizations.

Nick Clegg, head of global affairs, said in a statement that the company stands ready to support news media while reiterating its concerns over mandated payments.

“Facebook is more than willing to partner with news publishers,” Clegg said after Facebook restored news links as part of a compromise with Australian officials.

“We absolutely recognize quality journalism is at the heart of how open societies function — informing and empowering citizens and holding the powerful to account.”

Facebook and Google have both devoted money to supporting journalism in the past, citing its critical role in democracies.

Clegg defended the California titan in a blog post titled “The Real Story of What Happened With News on Facebook in Australia.”

The social media platform came under fire after it blanked out the pages of media outlets for Australian users and blocked them from sharing any news content, rather than submit to the proposed legislation.

Clegg contended in his post that at the heart of the controversy is a misunderstanding about the relationship between Facebook and news publishers.

News groups share their stories at the social network, or make them available for Facebook users to share with features such as buttons designed into websites, Clegg noted.

Facebook drove some 5.1 such “free referrals” to Australian news publishers last year, worth an estimated 407 million Australian dollars, according to Clegg.

Loading…

“The assertions — repeated widely in recent days — that Facebook steals or takes original journalism for its own benefit always were and remain false,” Clegg said.

“We neither take nor ask for the content for which we were being asked to pay a potentially exorbitant price.”

‘Erred’ enforcement

Clegg said that to comply with the law as originally proposed in Australia, “Facebook would have been forced to pay potentially unlimited amounts of money to multi-national media conglomerates under an arbitration system that deliberately misdescribes the relationship between publishers and Facebook.”

He maintained that in blacking out all news in the country, “we erred on the side of over-enforcement” and acknowledged that “some content was blocked inadvertently” before being restored.

After two decades of light-touch regulation, tech giants such as Google and Facebook are coming under increased government scrutiny.

In Australia, regulators have zeroed in on their online advertising dominance and its impact on struggling news media.

According to Australia’s competition watchdog, for every $100 spent on online advertising, Google captures $53, Facebook takes $28 and the rest is shared among others.

To level the playing field, Australia wants Google and Facebook to pay for using expensive-to-produce news content in their searches and feeds.

“It is understandable that some media conglomerates see Facebook as a potential source of money to make up for their losses, but does that mean they should be able to demand a blank check?” Clegg asked rhetorically.

“It’s like forcing car makers to fund radio stations because people might listen to them in the car — and letting the stations set the price.”

World Wide Web inventor Tim Berners-Lee recently warned that introducing the precedent of charging for links could open a Pandora’s Box of monetary claims that would break the internet.

Related posts

Air Force plane crash: Sen Olujimi sad about Olawumi’s death, other personnel, demand probe – Daily Post Nigeria

The Senator representing Ekiti South at the National Assembly, Chief Biodun Olujimi has expressed shock and grief over the death of a Flight Sergeant, Olasunkanmi Olawumi and other six Nigerian Air Force personnel on board the crashed military aircraft.

Federal Commissioner in CCB, Ehiozuwa Johnson Agbonayinma disclosed this on Monday while speaking with journalists in Abuja.

Agbonayinma, who heads a subcommittee investigating the case, said it is not a witchhunt.

According to media reports, Akapabio allegedly offered bribe to the CCB officials to give a “soft landing” to Sole Administrator of Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Mr Efiong Okon Akwa over discrepancies in his asset declaration form.

“We have been given a mandate by the bureau to investigate the allegation against some officials of CCB that we saw on social media. Let me be specific, one Mr Jackson Ude twitted, and it went viral, that money was given to some officials of CCB by Akpabio. Because of that, a committee to investigate the allegation was set up, with myself as the chairman,” he said.

“The committee is not to witch-hunt anyone but to do its job of defending the constitution of Nigeria.

“We invited Akpabio, who in his wisdom, came to give his side of the story. At the moment, we cannot pass judgement as the investigation is still in progress. All the accused parties remain innocent until the investigation is over,” he added.

South East Governors’ Forum, on Monday waded into the political clash between the governor of Imo State, Hope Uzodinma and former governor, Senator Rochas Okorocha.

Recall that governor Uzodinma was said to have ordered Okorocha’s arrest for unsealing Royal Palm Estate.

The South-east governors in a statement signed by their chairman and Governor of Ebonyi State, Chief David Umahi, assured the two political leaders of Imo State- Uzodinma and Okorocha of their preparedness to settle the disputes internally, instead of washing their dirty linen in the public.

The statement, which was forwarded to DAILY POST by the Special Adviser to governor Umahi on Media, Francis Nwaze reads in part: “The South-east Governors’ Forum sues for peace between governor Hope Uzodimma and former governor of Imo State Rochas Okorocha.

“Southeast Governors’ Forum has decided to wade into the impasse ensuing between Governor Hope Uzodimma and the former Governor of Imo State, Senator Rochas Okorocha.”

Governor Umahi said he had already made contacts with Uzodinma and Okorocha and asked them to cease fire, adding that the parties to the dispute had agreed for a truce.

The Forum further explained that the leaders of the Southeast were capable of settling their disputes internally instead of washing their linen in the public.

“We call for calm among the supporters of the two political heavyweights to ensure a timely and amicable resolution of the disagreement within the shortest possible time.

“We call on people of Imo State and the South East Zone to go about their normal businesses and shun provocative statements until normalcy is completely restored between the former Governor and his successor,” the forum stated.

Related posts

Nollywood actress Mide Martins reacts to allegation she abandoned brother – P.M. News

Late Funmi Martins, Mide and Sir Shina Peters

By Taiwo Okanlawon

Nollywood actress Mide Martins has reacted to an allegation that she abandoned her brother Oluwadamilare whom her mum Funmi Martins had for Afro juju star Sir Shina Peters.

A blog had reported that the Nollywood star  Mide and Peters had abandoned Damilare, who is now 19 years old.

The 41-year-old actress in an Instagram post narrated her own side of the story, adding that it’s a family matter which shouldn’t have come out on social media.

She also offered to take care of her brother which she was denied access to in the past.

“Hello Everyone! My name is MIDE MARTINS. I’ll like to tell little part of my own side of the story. Firstly, I want to say thank you to everyone who has contributed greatly to the ongoing issue and also apologize sincerely to everyone that I might have hurt or disappointed in anyway I am deeply sorry from the depth of my heart.

“I didn’t want to say anything about this all the while because I believe it’s a family issue which should rather be settled amicably between ourselves rather than being dragged on social media. Anyone who knows me very well would know that I am a private person,” she wrote.

She also added that she had tried to take custody of Damilare but was denied.

“I had requested custody of my brother damilare several times even before grandma died but was denied. Damilare is my blood brother It is not possible for me to neglect him but there’s much more to this story than you all know which I’m sorry I will not go into details because it’s a family matter.

“However, I just want to ask for a favor!! Can Damilare be finally released to me? Can I have my brother Damilare? I promise to take good care of him in my own little way may God help me so. Thank you everyone!! God bless every family out there!,” she wrote.

Shina Peters had earlier reacted to the story and also said he will be responsible for Oluwadamilare.

“I would like to thank all Nigerians in the Diaspora. I will be turning 64, so I should know the right thing to do. On the issue of Oluwadamilare, from the beginning, there were a lot of controversies, but as an elderly person, I don’t want to discuss that. I have put it behind me. My concern now is how we are going to take good care of Damilare.

“In the past, I had sent my driver to Abeokuta Ogun State) several times but they did not allow my driver to see him. When Damilare’s guardian, Baba Deji, called me, I was not in the country. I told him I would call him when I got back. In the process of waiting for me, this story came out,” he said.

Share this post with your friends:

Related posts